Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bye-Bye Baby Hair...Hello Big Boy

Some things you just can't get back.  Like baby hair.  Once it gets cut, it never grows back the same.  The natural highlights and the extra plush softness are gone forever, and in Jack's case, so are his luscious locks of gorgeous curls.

It is my own fault.  I finally caved in to the pressure of people commenting on such a pretty little girl.

I can't even believe I did that.  What was I thinking? 

I was thinking it will be less hot for him with summer coming.  I was thinking he is tender-headed and it will be easier to comb.  I was thinking he will be able to see better without his eyes covered, and I was thinking that he won't be as likely to get gunk stuck in his hair with less of it.  Whatever.  I was thinking it was time, and now I am thinking I made a mistake. 

He is still beautiful.  He is still my little Jack-Bo.  He is still Destructo Dan and just plain Jack.  He is still my precious baby boy...but now with short, non-curly, big boy hair. 

Here are a few "Before" pics, taken this morning.
A messy look after jumping on the bed...
 
Look at how it shines in the sun...

A front view and a teardrop of uncertainty for what was coming...
   
Those glorious curls! 

At least Daddy makes everything better!
It was traumatic for Jack.  He cried through the entire thing, and we could tell he was crying out of sadness more than fear.  Some of the salon staff handed him little clips to hold, hoping to calm him, and through his tears he whimpered "tay-yu" as he accepted them and started a small collection of borrowed comfort items.  Mandy, the stylist was great.  She clearly knows what she is doing, with 2 young ones of her own, and she just let us take turns holding him so he never had to sit in the chair.

Here are a few "During" pics.
Getting Started

Really upset now!

Reaching for Mommy

Holding a "comfort clip" and wondering who is that in the mirror?
Yes, I was crying too, mostly on the inside, and a few times I felt weak in the knees and had to fight back the waterworks.  It was such a monumental moment.  Bittersweet...the emotions of my baby growing up with a big boy haircut mixed with feeling sick about it as soon as I saw the first curl fall to the floor.  I thought I was doing well, but Brett informed me that it was quite obvious I was unhappy.  Sorry Mandy, it certainly wasn't you!!!

I have to get used to it.  I am still trying to put my finger on all the ways he looks different now.  It is not just that his curly mop is no longer, but also his other features stand out so much more!  His doe-eyes and his rosy cheeks, his long, slender neck, and suddenly his head looks so small and so perfectly round.  He is so beautiful.  Even without his surfer dude/rock star hair.  But I'm still sad.  I need some time to adjust.

Here are some "After" shots.
Such a sweet face...

Playing in the rocks...


My mischievous smile...

Walking along...

Going to get my "special treat" (a pack of Hot Wheels cars)

 After his hair cut, Jack fell asleep in the car on our way to Wal-Mart, where we woke him up to get him a "special treat" of toy Hot Wheels cars.  He is so sweet.  He had a great time in the store.  Then we ate lunch, and together we had a wonderful time as a family.  Jack sang "Old Mac-Donald" at McDonald's and belted out the "ee-i-ee-i-o" at exactly the right times in the song.  He drank his water out of a regular cup with no lid.  He ate his food with hardly any mess.  He smiled and laughed and acted like the precious angel he is.  

Baby hair or big kid hair, I suppose it doesn't really matter.  The time we spent together today enjoying our little family was well worth a few missing curls...I guess.  Well, I am going to do my best to keep convincing myself of that b/c I'm not sure I would have traded Jack's singing today for any amount of hair!







1 comment:

  1. His haircut does look adorable!

    I had to deal with my FIL and a few other people making comments about Elias looking like a little girl. I still do every once in a while. Honestly... it makes me sad that people would judge a toddler or his parents for long hair.

    I was really worried Elias' curls wouldn't grow back, but if anything his hair got curlier and thicker. You just never know.

    Here's E's first haircut blog post if you're interested. :)

    We are very likely to go get our boys' hair cut today, so your post has me thinking a lot!

    ReplyDelete